zondag 3 oktober 2010

A case of problem- based learning in practice

To prepare for college this week, we got the assignment to search for an example of one of the pedagogical approaches in practice. I started my search on google, as all student do I guess... And however it was not that easy to find something, I have something that I would like to share! I found something about a medical school on the Southern Illinois University. They are using the problem- based learning approach for their education, and I think that they are doing that in a nice way! They mention the same characteristics of problem- based learning as I mentioned in my last blog- post: its is learner centered, based on real problems, teacher is facilitator, students collaborate in small groups and students direct their own learning process. The approach is seen in the 'electronic  Problem- Based Learning Modules' (ePBLM), these are actual patient cases with medical problems where students can ask questions to the patients, and order any laboratory or diagnostic tests. I think this is a good case of problem- based learning, because students have to solve real problems and the learning is really student centered.

If you like to take a look at this example, you can find it here: http://www.pbli.org/pbl/pbl.htm for the ideas of the school, and: http://www.pbli.org/shopping/index.htm for the ePBLM. On the last site you can also download a part to explore it!

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Hey Linda,
    Intresting example! I was wondering do you use the pedagogical approach 'problem based learning' in your own physical clases? If yes, how does this looks like? If not, why?
    greets Simone

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Hi Simone,
    I do use this approach sometimes in my lessons. I learned at the teacher education that physical education is all about solving 'movement problems'; you learn something by solving the 'problem' you face. (However I thing that a 'movement challenge' fitts better...) When I see that my students want to do something but they don't succeed in it, I go to the student and ask what his or her problem is. When he knows what the problem is, I ask how he thinks that he can solve this problem. Often, there are 3 kinds of solutions; change a rule, change the arrangement, or do/ try something different by yourself. I ask the students for solutions till they come up with a solution of all 3 kinds and let the students decide what solution is the best in this situation.
    For example, when students are playing a basketbal game, and I student comes to me and sais he can't score, I will ask him what we can do about it? When he sais that he can't throw the ball high enough, he can offer to make the basket lower. Or he can offer that his team is not a good as the opponent team, and maybe his team can play with an extra player to make the teams more equal. He can also say that his skills are not sufficient to play the game and that he might exercise a little more before playing the game.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen